Thursday, July 31, 2008

Shark Week


















As many of you probably know, the Discovery channel is having "Shark Week" this week. For a solid week, the Discovery Channel will air nothing but shows having to do with sharks. I really like it. I think sharks are fascinating.

The thought occurred to me the other day though - how come we never see a baby Great White Shark? All of the footage is of these monster sharks tearing through meat in the water and reeking havoc. But, you never see a little cute shark, with little razor blade teeth hanging out of its bottom jaw. Why? I think I may have heard once that great white baby sightings were rare.

So, I did a little research, to figure why we never hear of a Great White baby, and I've found out that Great Whites are the devil! Seriously. I used to think that snakes were up there, as the most despicable, disgusting creatures, but now the snake has competition.

I went to wikipedia.org, and I read up on the great white. GET THIS......it says, "Almost nothing, however, is known about how and where the great white mates. There is some evidence that points to the near-soporific effect resulting from a large feast (such as a whale carcass) possibly induce mating." So, in other words, it takes feasting on a carcass the size of a school bus to get a shark in the mood. That's sick!!! These animals are screwed up! Plus, it says that they don't know for sure, but some believe that great whites live to be past 100 years old. Yeah............it's because they've sold their souls!!! Also, with a great white shark, the way the pregancy goes is, there can be up to 40 eggs that hatch inside of the mother. However, only one is actually birthed, because they all end up eating each other, until eventually the strongest is left! SPAWN OF SATAN!!!!

I remember, when I was a kid, I totally loved the movie Jaws. Even though it totally messed with my head whenever I got in the ocean, I still loved that movie. There's one part in Jaws, where the crazy fisherman talks about how he was on the U.S.S. Indianapolis. For those of you who don't know, the U.S.S. Indianapolis was sunk, and 900 sailors were stranded in the water, to wait for rescue. Well, while they waited, I guess sharks just had a hay day on all that live bait. Only 316 sailors were rescued. So, in the movie, the crazy fisherman says, "And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then..."

That description is so crazy. I'm convinced, even though they are totally fascinating, great white sharks are the devil.........

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As if I wasn't scared enough of the ocean....Sharks are freaky and I don't know how people who get attacked survive, let alone become spokespersons for things like surf boards. Crazy, good for them, but CRAZY!

jeanna

Julie J. said...

I CAN'T swim in any water that I can't see to the bottom, and it's all because of JAWS.

Kathy said...

We love Shark Week here! But mostly Mythbusters because they make us laugh more than make us scared! Sharks *are* scary - but go figure - Claire will swim in the ocean but not in our pool when the lights aren't on - there might be a shark in there! Julie - have you and Claire been talking...?

Cote Corner said...

that's funny that you mention shark week because I was just watching the DC channel last night! I don't know why but I always like the shows about sharks. On Sunday the DC is having a show about "when animals attack." I really want to watch it.
P.S. I still remember being FREAKED out going to the beach with you because you'd always pick me up, carry me into the ocean, tell me there were sharks in there, and that you were going to drop me in... i believed you because I had seen bits and pieces of Jaws!!! I still don't know if I'll ever go to the beach with you again!! :) LOL!!

Jeanna said...

Reading Amy's comment reminds me of the HUNDREDS of times Paul freaked me out or completely played me for a fool. What is it about big brothers?

Matt, glad you got a little sister to harass. She turned out okay so you must not have done too much damage.

Cote Corner said...

Hey matt! I found a new video of the mens 4X100 M relay and put it on my blog.

Average Joe said...

Love the shark post. Satan's babies for sure!