Monday, July 14, 2008

Movie Review

On the weekend of the 4th of July, Julie and Sam went to Reno to see her niece get baptized. I stayed behind to do stuff with my fam. So, all weekend I had complete freedom to do whatever, whenever I wanted.

So, what did I end up doing? Well, the first thing, obviously, was I went to Tucano's. Tucano's is by far the best restaurant in Utah, maybe even planet earth. After that, Peter (Julie's Brother) and I, went to see a bunch of movies. We saw Hancock, Wanted, Hulk, Kung Fu Panda, and Love Guru. It was great.

I was just thinking, since I've seen so much stuff in the theatre, which never happens, that I should review a couple of these flicks, and maybe grade them. Please know, that I am somewhat of a hard person to please, when it comes to movies. Action movies need to be stellar, for me to appreciate them, and I almost never like animated movies. So, here goes:



Hancock (A-) - This was a totally entertaining movie. For some reason, Will Smith bugs me, because he is always playing a guy who is either saving the world, or beating all odds. He never plays a realistic role. I wasn't expecting much from this one, so I think, since I went in with low expectations, that I was pleasantly surprised. I find that when I go into a movie with very high expectations, that I'm usually let down in a major way. Hancock was hilarious. It did drop a couple f-bombs though. Since almost every movie must contain a twist now, Hancock had a pretty big one in the middle. I did kind of see some of it coming, but it was a good twist. I've heard that with Hancock's twist, that you either like it or you hate it. I really liked it. The end wrapped up nicely, and you walk away feeling pretty good.



Wanted (D-) - This movie was a giant fart in the face. I couldn't believe what an insult this movie was, from beginning to end. Seriously, when this movie ended, I looked over to Pete, in awe, at how ridiculous it was, and hoping that he thought it was as horrendous as I did. Thankfully, he completely agreed. SPOILER ALERT.................DON'T READ ON, IF YOU PLAN ON WATCHING THIS MOVIE (though, I really hope you won't waste your time and money, after I've bashed this movie up and down). The movie is about a normal guy, that gets trained to be an assassin. He has a pathetic life. He works in a cubicle all day, and is shouted at by his nasty boss all day. The only reason why this movie didn't get an F- is because, it had a cool scene where the guy completely tells of his boss, in great fashion. At the end, the main character decides he's going to break into the combine that houses the fraternity of assassins, and kill them all, by himself. So, how does he do it? Rats. Yeah, that's right, freakin' rats! He goes to a grocery store and buys a ton of peanut butter, to attract the rats. Then he attaches an explosive to thousands and thousands of rats. So, he breaks in, releases the rats, and they help him with his job of taking out all of the assassins. At the end of the movie (which should have been called "Curving Bullet", because I swear, they took the idea of making your bullet curve to the extreme), Angelina Jolie curves a bullet around a circular room, and it hits like 15 guys right in the temple as the bullet continues to curve around the room, never slowing down. It was laughable. I can't believe movies like this even exist. I guess, there will always be 13 year old boys that will eat this stuff up, but as for me, I thought it was mind numbing.



The Love Guru (B+) - This movie had some amazing one liners. It really kept me, Pete, and Julie's cousin Dave laughing almost the whole time. This movie had already been out for a few weeks when we went to see it, so there was only about 10 people in the theatre when we saw it. We were laughing so loud and hard at one point, I thought we might get yelled at. Since this is a Mike Meyers movie, there is a lot of crude humor. Over all though, the plot and one liners make this movie pretty good.

This weekend, I will be going on a "birthday date" with Julie. We will be seeing Batman-The Dark Knight. I'm really looking forward to this one.

2 comments:

Cote Corner said...

Hey Matt!! I just wanted to wish you a "Happy Birthday!" I sent you an e-mail but I didn't know if you would get it today or not. Anyway.. hope you have a great day!

Kathy said...

Hope you had a Happy Birthday! love, Aunt Kathy