Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Reading



This is what I am privileged to see of Julie, about half of my life - the top 40% of her face. Doesn't this picture look like the Girl From Limberlost? (One of the books Julie read about a week ago). My wifey is reading CONSTANTLY! Sometimes I'll be laying in bed with her, and I'll want to talk with her about something, and she'll tell me to wait until the book is done, because there is only a couple pages left. Well, one day she pulled this on me........so I agreed to give her some space. The next thing I knew, I looked over, and she was into another book already. THE BRAT!!! How can someone do this? When I finish a book, I have to sit and relish in the fact that I've actually read something over 100 pages. I also have to discuss it with someone, because I'm so proud of myself.

At Thanksgiving, Me, Julie, Carrie Minert, and Jeff Minert sat around my parents kitchen table, and discussed books that we've read, and books that we loved or hated. It's funny, because when Julie and Jeff were talking about books they enjoyed, Carrie and I were talking about how difficult it is for us to actually complete a book. It really doesn't matter how good a book is, I'm still going to look at the last page to count how many pages I have left. When I close the book I'm reading for the night, I always look at where the bookmark is at, to gage how much I have left to read. Why is this? Am I missing the point? Is it a Johnson thing to be so inpatient with reading? Maybe it's just a personality thing. When I read, even if I'm entertained, it still feels like somewhat of a chore. Is my imagination not vivid enough to really enjoy the book? Am I a dullard, because I don't get enveloped in a story?

A stand up comedian that I love, Jim Gaffigan, talked about how he was always so proud of himself for finishing a book. He said that he'd find ways to work it into conversations. He also jokes about how "readers" always say in a snooty tone........."the book was much better than the movie". Then he says, "You know what I enjoyed about the movie? No reading". I can totally relate.

I guess Julie finds escape and fun in reading though, like I do in Football and watching sports. I guess, to each his own............

Love ya Julie........ :)

9 comments:

Julie J. said...

You know you wouldn't love me as much as you do if I didn't love reading as much as I do. It's just part of who I am.... Without it, I wouldn't be me.
I love you too.

Anonymous said...

You are incorrect, the no reading thing is NOT a "Johnson thing." Dad loves to read, as do I. Harold on the other hand has been working on a Charles Dickens classic for almost two years, PATHETIC! With school I haven't done as much pleasure reading, but I LOVE to read, love it!

Sorry you are missing your wife. You could always do a no-read night for date night. at least you will have her entire face for an entire evening! :)

By the way, It doesn't matter to me who is a reader and who isnt', I love you both!

Cote Corner said...

I'd have to say even though I enjoy reading (WHEN I CAN FIND A GOOD BOOK THAT IS) I ALWAYS look to the end to see how much I have left. for me I think it's because I want to see how much more I need to read to accomplish reading the book and to know what happens. I haven't read much lately cause I never know if I'm getting myself into a good book or not. Who wants to read half a book to find out it sucks?! Was that picture of Julie?? it didn't look like her?!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask. who is that girl in the pic, it doesn't look like julie.

also, I look to the end of the book to see how much more until I have to say goodbye to the characters for good, and it usually makes me sad.

Julie J. said...

That is not me. He found that on yahoo images and stole it. I look to the end of the book too. I check to see how much I have left, and I keep track of how much I've read that day and that sitting. I'm a geek I can't help it. But there is nothing wrong with that. And I told Matt that not liking to read is not a Johnson thing because of You ,Jeanna, and your dad. But I don't think your mom reads for pleasure so it must be from her.

Holley said...

Matt I must honestly say that reading truly is one of life's greatest pleasures. If I could make a living reading books, I would do it in a heart beat. Julie is such an amazingly intelligent person, after all she married you right? It's probably because she fills her mind with great literature. She recognized her prince charming right away!

Julie J. said...

It's true, Holley, I did!

Matthew Johnson said...

Jeanna, you're right, there are Johnson's that love to read. Maybe it's just a Matt and Carrie thing...... :)

Matthew Johnson said...

Ha ha! Holley, I don't think I'd mention the fact that Julie married me to prove how intelligent she is........ :)