Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Rocky

Most people can remember "THE" movie of their childhood. For Julie, it was Goonies. She can quote pretty much any line at any point in that movie. When we think back to those movies, nostalgia can roll in, and all can seem right for a moment. Besides Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, I would have to say that Rocky is "THE" movie............my movie. I remember popping in Rocky III into our VCR, between shouts from my Mom to fetch her purse for her, and constantly watching the very beginning of that movie, where Rocky manages to stand up on the 10th count of his epic battle with Apollo Creed, narrowly becoming the Heavyweight Champion of the World.

Agree or disagree with me, but I believe Rocky I through Rocky IV represents everything that's still right in the world. Yes, the Rocky movies rank high in the "cheese factor" ratings, and yes, at times are very unrealistic, but then again, so do the movies "It's a Wonderful Life", "Rudy", and "Neverending Story", but what warm-blooded American can honestly say that any of those aren't beautiful?

Below are my top 7 reasons why Rocky serves as a beacon of hope and stands tall as a guiding light to all who will listen to it's prolific war cry, "Gonna Fly Now":

1. Rocky doesn't win every fight. No, Rocky gets the crap beat out of him on different occasions. But he keeps coming back for more, never to give up.

2. Rocky is as dumb as a bag of hammers. HOWEVER...............he still succeeds because he has surrounded himself with people who care about him and love him.

3. SPOILER ALERT!!!! In Rocky IV, Rocky beats the crap out of Ivan Drago, a Russian. What is better than to see this perfect symbol of communism get it handed to him on a platter?

4. Rocky wears red, white, and blue shorts. Very patriotic.

5. Rocky is married, and he is faithful to his loving, yet very awkward wife.

6. There are hilarious one liners all through the Rocky movies, such as, "When I'm done with you, you're going to eat lightning and crap thunder!!!"

7. He's always the underdog. Who doesn't root for the underdog, especially when they're severely mentally handi-capped, like Rocky?


ALL HAIL ROCKY BALBOA!!!

Who doesn't completely love popping in their own personal timeless classic into the vcr or dvd player to allow themselves an hour and a half of nostalgic bliss and relaxation?

Well, until next time.............Good night, and stay classy Utah County.

6 comments:

Holley said...

Matt,
I hope you don't mind, I'm a blog stalking addict and I've not found a good 12 step recovery program yet. I saw your comment on Jeanna's blog and got your blog address. So I'll be lurking here often I think.
I love it! An entire post dedicated to Rocky! I love Rocky too, I can watch those movies over and over again. Eye of the Tiger is one of the classic phrases that my Dad used to motivate us to sport success. In fact he bought the sound track to Rocky III just for that song and he would blast it in the house whenever any of us had a big game or tournament. This past Christmas my boys and I went and saw Rocky VI and as we sat there in the theater I was astonished at how the Rocky legacy has lived on in popular culture. Matt, "I pity da foo" who doesn't read your blog! - Love your favorite McGiven cousin Holley

Cote Corner said...

So now that i have read your blog (which i didn't know you had til i saw your link on Jeannas page) I will be humming the eye of the tiger all day!!! THANKS MATT! ;) I do remember you being such a huge fan of the movies and remember when you bought the whole set!! Love ya.. TTYL, Amy

Brittany said...

Matt,

Brittany here (Jeanna's sis in law). i couldn't help myself when i saw your advertisement in your comments on her blog. thanks for the laugh in the middle of my work day (referring to the "best day of your life"). and for making me curious enough to rent Rocky and give a real try at watching it. i mostly remember Rocky IV - against the russian. probably because it came around in my era. and it was my favorite.... for the same reason (and probably bc i've never really seen the others).

Julie J. said...

Hey, I like your blog. I would prefer if you could find a picture of me where I don't look so fat...Oh, wait... Maybe one where I don't look like a boy. Yeah, that would be better. But I like your other pics and the captions. Hilarious. Good job on your first entry.
I LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

Matty,

I am so glad that one of my siblings has joined the blogging world.

Maybe a Rocky marathon should be in our future!

ADDRIIIIAAAAAN!

Matthew Johnson said...

Wow!!! I never expected anyone to actually come to this blog!!! Thanks everyone, that made my day.