Tuesday, March 4, 2008

ADHD or Just Six?

Julie and I were talking about Sam today. A while back in a parent/teacher conference, Sam's teacher mentioned that we may want to have Sam tested for ADHD. Apparently, Sam can give his teacher "a run for her money" on occasion. So, I guess at this point Julie will have him tested.

I have a couple concerns about this. First, I think it can't hurt to get a professional's opinion on the matter, so we'll most likely have him tested. But, I worry that sometimes kids can be diagnosed with ADHD or Hyper Activity too easily. I do understand that ADHD is an issue that would need to be dealt with, but I wouldn't want Sam to have his life dramatically changed if this was just a case of Sam acting like a typical, rambunctious kid.

When I look back to when I was a kid, I can remember acting like a total dork all of the time. (Well, maybe I still do). But, I remember constantly getting booted out of primary because I couldn't be quiet or reverent. I also remember getting like 20 checks on the blackboard, one day at school. I think it's normal for kids to act out and vie for their friend’s attention. I was always doing stuff that was completely out of control, but I really don't think that I paid a price for this and that my education or learning was hampered too badly because of this behavior.

I guess we'll just have to play it by ear, and decide what we'll need to do if something does come up with the test.

3 comments:

Jeanna said...

I would classify Sam in the spaz category. The same place Mack is. In my humble, un-asked for opinion Sam is just a normal kid. He may struggle a bit more with wanting attention just because he doesn't have brothers/sisters at home, but I would never say he had ADHD. But I'm no expert.

Holley said...

Matt, I think you are right to be concerned. All to often teachers want to have kids tested which is code for medicated so that it makes their job a bit easier. If the tests conclude that Sam does have ADHD, make sure you do some research before you allow him to be medicated. Both of my boys were and are very active in school still and they are in high school. One really does suffer from ADHD and he takes medication and it really has been a blessing for him and has helped him to be focused and more successful. My other son is just too smart and gets bored easily and we've just had to work on behavior modification with him and make sure that he is in challenging classes.

Cote Corner said...

Hhmm.. what a sticky situation. I have noticed that a lot of kids with ADHD use it as an excuse. "I have ADHD so i can't help it." Hopefully if Sam does have ADHD you can tell him that this is something that CAN get better if he works on it. Justins bro seemed to use it asn excuse for why he coudln't do things right all the time. GOOD LUCK with all that!